View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 05:23 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
In regards to the special effects of the original 1978 Dawn of the Dead... even though there are so many gore effects, I think they were all top notch and creepy. The only thing I think is odd was some of the blue face makeup on the zombies, as it didn't always look natural, as in natural dead.

Regarding the plot's of both films, you have me curious about what you mean by, "It had nothing to do with what the original Dawn of the Dead was about other than being set inside a shopping mall with zombies." Would you expand on that? Thanks!
Well for one thing the characters were completely different. In the original movie you had two SWAT guys, a female reporter (at least I think she was a reporter), and her boyfriend. The remake had a nurse, a cop, a black guy and his pregnant Russian girlfriend, a TV salesman, three mall security guards, a trucker couple, an asshole playboy and his slutty girlfriend, a gay church organ player, and a young redheaded girl.

But unlike the characters in Romero's original movie who were interesting, I thought that most of the characters in the remake were annoying and completely unlikable. The one I hated the most was Glen because he was pretty much a negative gay stereotype. This movie was also a tad on the racist and sexist side like how the cop played by Ving Rhames just assumed that the black guy was a criminal (nevermind the fact that he was a black guy too) and how all of the female characters other than the nurse were portrayed as useless and weak. George Romero's zombie movies were all known for their strong female characters with the exception of the original Night of the Living Dead (but I think that is forgivable because it was a very old movie made in the 1960's).

I guess I feel like Romero always focused a lot on his characters, but in the remake of Dawn of the Dead we basically had a bunch of cliches and stereotypes thrown at us. Does that make any sense?