Thread: Spam Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 06:02 AM
whatever gets you through

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
How about straight out banning these spamming noobs and deleting their posts outright ? It's supposed to be rule #1 in the new member forum, but obviously has no effect if these guys don't bother to read the rules in the first place (which wouldn't matter since wouldn't matter since they're not enforced anyways). They come here, spam the place up and leave. The only one I see making an effort against it is Zwoti. Unfortunately I think he's limited to the film section and can't delete the posts.
If these guys want to advertise here, let them pay for advertising space. This is still a fan forum and nobody here should be subjected to the constant barrage of advertisements. If an actual member here was making a film and talked about it in the course of conversation is one thing. The "one hit wonders" is something entirely different and should be dealt with as such. They don't even have the decency to plug/link horror.com on their sites, which is often the case on other film boards to allow the spam. Drop kick these jerks out of here with their spam as a message to others like them: they're not welcome here.
CK
I agree with you in general - if the rule forbids spam, then enforce it. But, since that isn't working - why not contain it? (Its a bit like the argument for legalizing drugs - you can't "stop" people from spamming, so make a regulated place for it.) I, for one, do look at most spam sites - but not the obvious corporate plugs - I find the indie shit people slap together interesting. But, I completely understand and respect that most of the folks here DO NOT want to look at self-promoting people's stuff . . . cool. If there was a way to channel spam into one thread it **might** clear up the other threads. (or maybe not).