View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 AM
For Vendetta

In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
One of the most underrated John Carpenter films. The film is about an individual whose horror books are causing people to commit violent actions, which may ultimately leading to the end of the world. This film was very effective at blurring the lines between real and non-real. Also a pretty excellent performance by Sam Neill. - metternich1815

Seven (aka) Se7en (1995)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
Here's my definition of a horror movie:

A movie qualifies as horror if
a) a significant focus is given to characters in a situation where a deadly or harmful force -- be it a metaphysical force, such as a ghost or demon, a physical enemy, such as one or more creatures or humans, or the characters' own psychological state -- is threatening to harm or scare them, AND
b) that the intent of film is to scare, shock, disturb, disgust, or cause discomfort to the viewer.

By my definition, a movie like Se7en does not qualify as horror. That movie satisfies part b) (disturb or disgust the viewer), but not a). No scene in the movie puts the characters in a situation where they fear for their well being. There is one chase scene, but that's really an action scene, and the main characters are the ones doing the chasing. The murder scene set-pieces are certainly disturbing, but at no point are the cops entering the scene at risk. The characters don't know that they are victims of the antagonist until the final reveal, and neither does the viewer.

BUT, I did rank Se7en in my 90s list because I consider the purpose of this project to not just rank horror movies, but point out the important points in the history of horror. Although I don't consider Se7en a horror movie, it made a significant contribution to the genre, being a huge influence with it's crisp, cold, stylized production, high level of gore, and aggressive industrial rock musical score. James Wan owes a lot to Fincher for the style of his Saw series. Its influence can be found all over the place, even in TV with the Hannibal series. - Giganticface

Scream (1996)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
It was one of the most brilliant and witty horror movies up to that time. Additionally, it helped to revive horror movies. I also thought it was a great psychological thriller. - metternich1815

Cube (1997)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
Cube is an intriguing psychological thriller. This film shares a number of similarities with a later film known as Saw. Both films include a group of people trapped somewhere that must try to survive a series of traps, in order to survive. Despite being similar and having similar set ups, this film more effectively explores humanity. It is interesting to see how the characters slowly descend into paranoia and even sacrifice their morals in order to survive (this is especially true of the supposed hero). Definitely one of the greatest films of the period. - metternich1815

Wishmaster (1997)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
This is an interesting film that largely went unnoticed in 1997. It follows the myth of the Djinn relatively closely. What I like the most is that they throw this myth into a modern world. Although an unlikely villain (he can only grant wishes), it is very effective at using him. The way he grants the wishes is the most interesting part of this film. Plus, it includes cameos by Angus Scrimm, Robert Englund, Kane Hodder, and Tony Todd. - metternich1815

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
An interesting mystery, which is also a slasher. It created the villain known as the Fisherman. As was common with the slashers created due to Scream, the killer was mortal, rather than immortal. - metternich1815

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-10-2013 at 09:56 AM.