View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

15. Dracula (1931)

14. Se7en

After a long time, this was the movie which re-defined the horror/slasher genre. The uniqueness, the brilliant plot and the masterful direction made Se7en one of the best movies in Hollywood history. Impressionable viewers were shocked and disgusted (especially by the climax) and the movie left a deep and disturbing effect on the grey cells.
The plot concerns two homicide detectives who are investigating a case of randomly bizarre murders which have an apparent link to the Seven Deadly Sins as given in the Bible. Once the pattern is established, the detectives try to gauge the identity of the next victim and thus find out who the mad killer is. The movie has a novel, fresh feel to it, which is added by the fact that the story in itself is unique and different than the tired and old predictable slashers of the 80s and 90s.
Some of the picturised deaths were gruesome and really revolting. The way in which Fincher handles his cast (Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey) is really commendable. The chemistry between the young, energetic cop and his tiring, close-to-retirement partner, and how they get involved in the killer's lunatic pattern, is racy edge-of-the-seat stuff. It keeps the viewer spellbound from start to finish, and by the time the climax comes in, audiences will be shocked, severly jolted and left praying that they didnt see what they just did. The most interesting aspect of all this, is that the killer, John Doe, is never shown killing his victims in the movie, which makes the deaths all the more horrifying.
For its creativity, uniqueness and racy spellbinding pacing, I give this movie 10/10. Definitely THE topper of all my favorite movies in the Horror/Slasher genre. If you havent seen this yet, I pity you. - __V__

13. The Omen

A creepy, goosebump-inducing film that literally had me on the edge of my seat! Shadowed as cheesy horror fare, The Omen has been skipped upon viewings by so many people. But, I'm here to say that The Omen is one of the few movies to ever scare me (and fear a name). It sent chills up and down my spine, and didn't give up until the credits rolled. - Yellow Jacket

12. An American Werewolf in London

One of the best, if not the best black comedy I have seen. Yet another film I saw when I was a kid and I was blown away. The film has a fantastic flow to it with not one boring bit in the whole film. All the characters are excellent from the main cast to the background folk. Honourable mention has to go to Brian Glover, he was always fantastic. The effects, by Rick Baker, are fantastic and it was one of the first times you saw a full transformation from man to wolf without to many cut a ways. All the victims are equally grisly especially Jack, with that nice waggly bit of skin on his neck. The music it also fantastic and fits the film perfectly, especially Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising."
The story is basically your run of the mill werewolf story but with the dark comedy this is one werewolf film you don't want to miss. And I can't not mention Jenny Agutter, if you're as old as me and male you'll know what I mean, if you are younger, ask your dad!
If you haven't seen it yet check it out and "Beware the Moon" - Yeti.13

11. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

In many ways Tobe Hooper's low-budget shocker is the most amazing and influential film in the history of American horror. This simple tale of a quintet of young people drifting through south Texas and their encounter with a cannibal family helped to set the stage for the hugely popular slasher films of the 1980s. But, beyond the film's capacity to horrify (something it achieves through intensity and an unflinching camera's eye rather than graphic effects) and the controversies that erupted surrounding its release in the US and UK, Chainsaw is a highly intelligent look at the brutality of American capitalism and the twisted distortions of the American family in the midst of the economic stagnation of the mid-1970s. Sadly, while Hooper's debut filmed picks up the mantle put forward by Romero's Night of the Living Dead in terms of brutality and intelligence, Hooper himself was unable to follow up on his first film's promise. - zero

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-12-2014 at 10:31 PM.