View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 11:53 PM
Immortal horror fan

Black Swan -

I'm not sure how much I like this one. I thought it was going to be a horror movie. It's more psychological horror. I understand why so many in Hollywood would like this sort of thing. It's about the pretty perfect girl going to a dark place. And people see the lead actress as the nice girl. But I think she's always had a bit of darkness about her. At least in some of the interviews I've read. And also that harsh but funny rap video she did a while back. It seems like she tries for those dark roles to make people think she's not a goodie type.

I thought the movie would go to a darker place than it did. But I feel that I've seen this movie before. At least the themes. I love the effects though. The movie reminded me of a better made Sucker Punch. Which had a similar ballet setting with dark stuff going on. But that wasn't as grounded as Black Swan so many in Hollywood dismissed it as young girls doing cartoonish stuff. But it's almost the same sort of thing. Both seem to be influenced by Japanese animation stories. But not that many in Hollywood take notice of Japanese animation anyway unless they are remaking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post

The X Files: I Want to Believe (2008)
7/10

A psychic priest helps Mulder, Scully and FBI with a deadly missing persons case. Pretty good film. I enjoyed it. The ending wasn't perfectly clear to me, needed more exposition, but maybe I was looking for more than was there.

Not sure what the prior harsh reviews were for. Maybe just unmet expectations. It's a crime drama with supernatural, suspense and horror aspects, as opposed to sci-fi, sci-fi effects and humor. It does severely undeploy the natural comedic talents of the stars, but of course too much of that can wreck the serious horror tones.
Did you like the camera wave ending? I think that's in the director's cut. But seriously, it's just that for what was supposed to be the final X-Files movie I think at the time. It wasn't a very good movie on its own. The characters became silly and it just felt lame. That it was something they could have shown in a TV episode. And there are far better X-Files episodes than that movie.