View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 AM
For Vendetta

Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
Quote:
The premise alone makes this a top 20 flick, doesn't it? Awesome flick, which needs to be better appreciated. Its tongue in cheek dark humour, but it also has some weight behind it asking how far our creative minds will push boundaries to create art. Willem Dafoe puts in a career best performance and Malkovich is typically menacing as the obsessive Murnau. Just an all-round quality movie. - Straker

Pulse (aka) Kairo (2001)
Quote:
Great premise, lots of atmosphere, much better than lots of the more popular flicks out there! - Straker

Session 9 (2001)
Quote:
This film does creepy, surreal atmosphere about as well as two of my favorites: The Shining and Jacob's Ladder. The location is almost a character in itself, and some of the imagery and sounds are as memorable and spine-tingling as that in The Changeling. The slow-burn creep-out storyline is as good as it gets, and has a rewarding ending. - Giganticface

Ju-on: The Grudge (original) (2002)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____

The Butterfly Effect (2004)
Quote:
If you've seen it without distraction, I think you'll know what I mean -- I wasn't expecting much from this movie, and instead it packs a powerful punch of adrenaline and lingering mood effects, thought was quite effective and interesting story. - Sculpt

The Call of Cthulhu (2005)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____

Grindhouse (2007)
Quote:
I think for all practical purposes, it's two separate movies, and most people will watch them (and evaluate them) separately, but good point that Tarantino and Rodriguez intended them to be watched in as a single, complete experience, simulating a double feature. Plus it has all those awesome fake trailers.
Both Grindhouse movies are good, but also quite different. Tarantino and Rodriguez have pretty different styles. The intent was to pay homage to (or really, almost recreate, but with some satire) exploitation films of the 70s. Both directors did a great job of adding pops, noise and graininess to the picture, complete with "bad" editing, etc. Really fun to watch. - Giganticface

They are definitely both worth watching, though I've always preferred "Planet Terror" to "Death Proof" as the latter was riddled with too much dialogue. However, to it's credit, Kurt Russell gives one of his best performances as Stuntman Mike.
They are both pretty good flicks, especially if you are fond of exploitation flicks from that era. I think you would really appreciate all the work that was put into making them seem like authentic pieces from the period. - xX_StarChild_Xx

Despite being both great, I will say that I preferred Death Proof. It had a great performance by Kurt Russell, while also being a very thoroughly entertaining movie. Planet Terror was good, but certainly much more humorous and over-the-top compared to Death Proof. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed both films in Grindhouse. - metternich1815

The Signal (2007)
Quote:
Good concept, excellent characters, strong writing, good tension, and (gulp!) romance? The hand-off between directors for the three parts gave it variety in tone without being too jarring, or feeling like an anthology. I loved the indie feel. Some of the violent scenes were pretty hairy. An enjoyable film all around. - Giganticface

Martyrs (2008)
Quote:
An utterly one-of-a-kind film for those that are willing to give it the chance it deserves, and can stomach it. As the French are doing, it incorporates existing sub-genre elements, but twists or re-invents them in ways no one has done before. (It's a home invasion movie... wow, that was quick. It's a demon ghost film... or is it? It's torture... a whole new level and tone.) The film is unique in that, like the experiments performed on the protagonist, the viewer becomes the subject of a similar experiment: can you endure more pain than you can imagine, to the point of transcendence to a new level of existence? Okay, maybe the viewer won't reach martyrdom by watching the film, but it will be dizzying ride in the process. - Giganticface

Mum & Dad (2008)
Quote:
A really savage British horror film and satire on family life. The Christmas scene pushes things way over! - Neverending

Thirst (aka) Bakjwi (2009)
Quote:
If you haven't watched it, go watch it! - Straker

Black Swan (2010)
Quote:
In the "Repulsion" film vein, here's an interesting take on the film - "Though it touches on a number of genres and encapsulates several themes, Black Swan is best viewed as a horror movie - a slow creep into insanity that's touching and terrifying in equal measure." Plus the greatest work of music is featured: Swan Lake. - Sculpt

One of the best films IMO across all genres during this time period! - Giganticface

John Dies at the End (2012)
Quote:
It had fast-paced, semi-narrated, excellent direction. Plot and story was really effectively executed, fascinating, and a lot of fun, serious and humorous at the same time. I thought it was really smart, and played like stream of consciousness, with camera shots conveying a very trippy, original and fun film. Not without flaws, but I thought it was original and notable, sort of a fusion of "Evil Dead 2" meets "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" meets "Pulp Fiction" meets "Next". - Sculpt

So, there you have it.

200 recommendations of the finest films the horror genre has produced over the past 116 years (and counting), 55 Honorable Mentions from each period of horror cinema, 10 of the best documentaries on the history & evolution of horror films, and a special selection of 50 hand-picked films earnestly supported by the HDC members involved in the decision-making process.

That's well over 300 films, all wholeheartedly recommended to add to your viewing pleasure, as you explore the horror genre in it's silver screen avatar - the world of horror films.

May the genre keep expanding and prospering through the years to come. The fans will always be here with open arms.

Happy viewing, folks!

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-03-2013 at 01:04 PM.