View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Accion Mutante (aka Mutant Action) (1993)

The Amazing Mr. X (aka The Spiritualist) (1948)

Many reviews would tell you that the strength of this film lies in the cinematography, and there is no way that I can entirely disagree: Crisp, striking camerawork and brilliant use of light and shadow are truly an asset to The Amazing Mr. X.

However in my mind, the single aspect that elevates this film from your typical “B” mystery can be stated in two words: Turhan Bay. As the title character, a “Psychic Counselor” who may or may not be a con artist, he owns every scene that involves him. His screen presence is simply incredible and turns what would be an OK film into a great one.

Though I would like to go into the plot, it’s a very complex story and I fear that I would spoil it. Suffice to say that it has a couple pretty good twists, and an ending that you probably won’t be expecting.

Beautiful cinematography, strong acting and a solid plot make this film a worthy addition to any collection. The fact that you can get it in a set with 49 other films for less than $20 makes it that much sweeter. - The Return

Bad Taste (1987)

Sure, its just a splatter film, but theres a certian charm in the way Peter Jackson does it. It feels kinda like what would happen if someone turned a childs film into a bloody massacre. It almost has some kind of slap-stick feeling to it, except instead of someone getting smacked in the face, someone is getting shot in the face. One of the best things about this film is its pace. Once the action starts, it pretty much doesn't let up until the bloodsoaked end. Not much of a plot here. Aliens from mars kill a bunch of people on earth in order to use their flesh for their fast food resaurant. In conclusion, if you like horror comedies, gross out humor, and loads of gore, this is definetly one to catch. - The Mothman

Begotten (1991)

You won’t like this film. Don’t even try to watch it. There is no dialogue and there are no title cards. It’s shot in a grainy black and white. The story? That’s anyone’s guess. The effect? Skin crawling terror. Still interested? The film looks and feels old – not silent film old, but Dead Sea Scrolls old. It all revolves around the birth and subjugation of a human-like god-thing…at least that’s what I’m told. What makes this film so maddening and terrifying is how director E. Elias Merhige (Shadow of the Vampire) shoots the film in such an overly-distressed manner that you’re never quite sure what you’re seeing. This combined with a stunning sound design and the most transgressive acting style I’ve ever witnessed makes this film unnerving to watch. It took me several attempts to get past the first 10 minutes and I had nightmares for weeks. Because there is no real text of which to speak, the film attacks your subconscious, digging up whatever darkness your imagination can render. Like I said, you won’t like this film. Don’t even try to watch it. - Roderick Usher

I tre volti della paura (aka Black Sabbath) (1963)

This is my favorite anthology film.

While this movie has been released in numerous chopped up versions in the U.S. since its release, it is now finally available in its original version on dvd (the original had many lines spoken in english and then dubbed in Italian), complete with the hokey ending starring the host and star, Boris Karloff.

This is a fantastic film on its own merits, but it also deserves a watch because it is the very first movie in which the "bad guy" wins (I won't give away which of the three faces of fear this occurs in).

There is no way I could pick a favorite of the three stories because they all succeed in their own ways, but I will tell you that I think they get scarier as they go along (meaning that, to me, the first is the least frightening, while the last is just plain unnerving and sleep-depriving).

A must watch and, on a side note, I've heard that the band got their name from it (not sure about that one). - knife_fight

Last edited by The Flayed One; 09-25-2008 at 10:52 AM.