View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 AM
For Vendetta

DARIO ARGENTO

DAVID CRONENBERG

DAVID LYNCH

DON COSCARELLI

DONALD PLEASENCE

"Pasty-faced, pudgy, balding and timid looking, Donald Pleasence (1919-95) had all the earmarks of a secondary character actor doomed to play accountants and store clerks throughout his career. He just didn't seem the type to stand out from the rather well-populated pack. But thanks to a rather showy role in The Flesh and the Fiends (1960), a nice little creepy film about graverobbers Burke and Hare, Pleasence inched his way onto the world stage. Beginning his career in theatre in 1939, even he might have thought it all a lark. With WW2 looming in the horizon, he joined the RAF and was shot down, ending up, prophetically, in a POW camp (his portrayal of the master forger in The Great Escape being no coincidence).

To younger audiences, he will always be remembered as kindly Dr. Loomis in the Halloween series, but he was one of the premier character actors of the 60s and 70s. My first sight of him was as the first Blofeld (in physical presence) in the James Bond film You Only Live Twice (the character is parodied in the Austin Powers films). He also had showy roles in Dr. Crippen, Circus of Horrors, Fantastic Voyage, Cul-De-Sac, Night of the Generals, Soldier Blue, THX 1138, Tales that Witness Madness, The Black Windmill, The Eagle Has Landed, Dracula (1979), Witness for the Prosecution, Prince of Darkness, Escape from New York and my personal favorite Telefon, playing a psychotic ex KGB agent setting off explosive sleepers thruout the US ("Miles to go before we sleep").

A worthy successor to Peter Lorre (whom he most reminds me of), Pleasence was always in demand, even to the end. Whether it was a good or bad film, he always brought something extra to the show, and elevated the material. No one can ask any more from a character actor." - Festered

Last edited by _____V_____; 10-11-2008 at 08:52 PM.