View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post

It's interesting that you mention Let the Right One In because, quite frankly, I found the "romance" one of the creepier parts of the movie (when she strips down and gets into bed with him, that was quite possibly the most uncomfortable I've been in the theater; the concept of a sexualized 12-year-old absolutely horrified me, which was obviously the intent). When looking at the movie analytically, pedophilia is just as much a subject of horror as vampirism is: The "young" Eli, though in a 12-year-old's body is quite obviously significantly older... And the concept of this timeless being becoming romantically involved with a 12-year-old... How incredibly gothic, tragic, and macabre.

***SPOILERS***

The final scene of him sitting on the train and scratching on her coffin is probably one of the creepiest images that I've ever seen; a child scratching on their love's literal tomb. It's also clear that the mysterious man doing Eli's murdering at the beginning of the movie is the future Oskar; while Eli and Oskar's relationship is palatable because they are both in the bodies of 12-year-olds, it's clear that there was something more involved in her relationship with the older man... Now THAT is a fantastic genre of horror.
Agree but I thought those were the sweetest & most innocent parts of the film.:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
What is this "Dracula" of which you speak? And what does it have to do with Romance? :rolleyes:
It's probably the 'spiritual bond' between Dracula & Mina...I think he found that quite romantic!:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
Unfortunately the word "romance" has most recently been used to describe forced sentimentality and schmaltz. In most contemporary romance you know the couple will get together before you even buy your ticket.
Ditto!...:D