View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 07:01 PM
The Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
I have to disagree with you to a degree. Godzilla is more then just a big monster wreaking havoc. If you don't have characters to care about, then you're not going to care about the monster.

In the original movie, Godzilla was doing more then just property damage. He was terrorizing people who we actually cared about. The characters in the original were important as should they be in this new movie. Obviously the characters shouldn't be the forefront with Godzilla in the background kind of how Cloverfield was but that's only because how iconic Godzilla is.

Hopefully they won't mess it up. I think it looks awesome.
You may feel that way, and its fine, but I cannot name one single character from any Godzilla movie ever made. If I cared for any of them that wouldn't be the case. On the other hand I can name almost every monster without much thought. They weren't characters as much as they were placeholders in my opinion. Like the heroes in most pulp fiction stories. They exist so we can live through them. Something to make events unfold from a more understandable perspective. The kid, The mother or mother figure, The father or father figure and lastly the scientists / military to represent the government. Again, this is just my perspective. I am sure that others may have favorite human characters, but none of them ever mattered to me as anything more then me putting myself in their shoes.

www.youtube.com/thedeadarewatching