View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 07:54 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
CHARLIE CHAN'S MURDER CRUISE/ CHARLIE CHAN IN PANAMA (both 1940)

Had never seen any of the series with Sidney Toler playing the inscrutable CC, and may be awhile before doing again. Decent pace on both films (single disc) with lots of cool supporting actors, particularly Lionel Atwill in both. Both were made by Paramount, but they both have a 1940's Universal vibe: silly, rushed and unfunny comedy relief. CCIP does get some help from pretty accurate naming of various spots in Panama that I remember from living in the Canal Zone from 1973-76. The biggest liability is the inclusion of "Number Two Son" played by Victor Sen Young...almost every scene gets thrown into the toilet by his character and almost wish Charle would put him in the Army or feed him to the sharks. In the same year, Young was very good in THE LETTER, playing an extremely conniving aide and he also ended playing Hop Sing on BONANZA!

CCMC-**1/2
CCIP-**
You were in PCZ 73-76? What was that like? I watched a netflix doc on the PCZ a few months ago. Do you think the US should have given back full ownership/control to the state of Panama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA (1952). While it is as interesting as its title, Bela does get some good scenes in here. Also known as THE BOYS FROM BROOKLYN, the boys in question being Duke Mitchell and Sammy Petrillo. Duke isn't much, but Sammy looks and acts almost uncannily as a young Jerry Lewis...and about as annoying as Jerry could be too! **
I always wondered about this movie. Has a title you'd never forget. I assume Bela is not playing himself, right? I think I always wondered if it would be too silly. Is this a comedy or serious?