View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 11:57 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
The Public Enemy (1931)
8/10

I wish I had seen this before seeing Scarface (1983) and other films... cause there's been so many copies of so many of Public Enemy's scenes. It's a great looking and pulsing paced film. James Cagney (as Jim Powers) packs an emotional punch throughout the entire film. It's a morality play, as most films are, and although this is written just a bit more simplex, obvious and slightly preachy than I would have liked, it still doesn't shy away from some harsh grittiness, including the famous scene where Powers smashes a grapefruit into his girlfriend's face. The film still stays pretty lively, basically because of Cagney visceral inner tightness and energy, the quick story pace, and the shot direction.

Cagney was a fine actor who played the gangster parts so well that he got type-cast as a gangster for awhile. But he was also so good that he was able to battle the powerful studio system to adjust his contracts, do other roles, and also started his own studio for a spell. As an actor and performer, he was also a dancer, singer and comedian. Even though he did make a huge mark in his role in Yankee Doodle Dandy, in perpetuity his gangster persona still dominates public perception.
Indeed, this is an important well made classic, Sculpt! JC is just an unstoppable force of nature and many scenes still impress. 1931 was a sucky year for Mae Clarke...Grapefruit in the puss by Cagney (believe it was spontaneous which accounts for her believable reaction) and stalked by Boris Karloff in FRANKENSTEIN.

FASTER, PUSSYCAT! KILL! KILL! (1966). Outrageously audacious Russ Meyer film is as much fun as I heard it was...jaw dropping throughout. Three extremely zaftig (it is a Russ Meyer film, after all) psychotic Go-Go girls spend their free time Desert drag racing, fighting, murder, kidnapping and attempted robbery.Tura Satana is GREAT as Varla, the leader of the gang. Susan Bernard (the Kidnappee) later went on to be Miss December 1966 for PLAYBOY, married Jason Miller (Father Karras in THE EXORCIST) and gave birth to Josh Miller, the creepy little kid in RIVER'S EDGE and NEAR DARK. In addition, many samples from this on White Zombie's EL SEXORCISTO: DEVIL MUSIC VOL 1. Essential viewing. *****