View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 AM
For Vendetta

Great reviews, Roshiq. I loved reading each one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
The Haunted Palace (1963)
Possibly one of my favorite haunted house pics.
Price is his usual wonderful self, but what makes this movie such a brilliant example is the fantastic set pieces and atmosphere that the director creates by the use of some very effective lighting and effects, complimented by some really chilling background scores.
Glad to see you loved it.

Quote:
The Bad Seed (1956)
Wonderful, wonderful movie.
Yes it was a challenge back in the day to make this, and even more to portray the bad girl so effectively. The director and the actress both get a lot of kudos for bringing out a genuinely disturbing and frightening portrayal of childhood innocence gone horribly awry.
One of the best slow chillers of all-time. You can literally feel the hairs on the back of your neck rise as the film progresses.

Quote:
Spider Baby, or The Maddest Story Ever Told (1968)
One of the real underrated gems of the genre.
It has a dose of everything you could imagine in a genre representative, plus it had a undercurrent of social satire running through the entire flick. The cast, though largely made of unknowns back then, stands out in their wonderful characterisation (the script-writer really deserves a pat on the back for his efforts). As you mentioned, close to nobody knew who Sid Haig was back then.
I honestly think Zombie's HOTC/TDR both were heavily influenced by this film. Too bad this film got overshadowed by NOTLD back then, or it would have been a genre masterpiece in its own right. As it is, it remains a huge cult classic/favorite.