View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 07:08 AM
Horror Fan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake.Ashworth View Post
I agree and disagree. Its hard for me because I spent the majority of my life in the south and when I see the flag, it represents home, happiness, and good times. I understand some people have diluted it to mean other things, and it offends people. But removing it from all public spaces puts us one step closer to saying that the American flag offends foreigners so we should take it down from public spaces. The smell of certain colognes offend me, but I cant demand that everyone around me stops wearing them.

All of that aside I do support the removal from state run facilities, because the government should strive for unity. The flags should be removed, folded accordingly and put in museums to save for the future. Its a huge part of our heritage and to remove and forget about it would be as detrimental to our national heritage as telling migrants that they aren't allowed to dress in their native garb or speak their native language.

On another note, it should only be removed from state run facilities, any private company or private citizen should be able to fly it as they see fit. We have our freedoms and our liberties still and no matter who is offended, we should never sacrifice individual freedoms. If you don't approve of a company flying the flag, then find somewhere else to do business, hurt them in their pocket book but don't take away their freedoms.
Yes it seems there is a distinction between private display of the Confederacy and its display before govt. buildings. Reasoning there being that the govt. should not support slavery, period. But then should we tear down the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, Mt. Rushmore, etc. since they were slaveholders too. I am happy to take $20 bills off peoples' hands bearing the image of Andrew Jackson, notorious slaveholder of Native Americans.

What do you say to those who invoke Nazis, and the fact that the Nazi flag is banned in Germany?