View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 AM
For Vendetta

Samuel L. Jackson's A Longer Kiss Goodnight?

Samuel L. Jackson is developing a sequel to the 1996 thriller "The Long Kiss Goodnight".

The first movie starred Geena Davis as Samantha Caine, a suburban mom and schoolteacher with a seemingly normal life in Honesdale, Pennsylvania, who had been found badly injured and amnesiac several years previously, and has no memory of her past. When she's attacked by an escaped convict, Samantha dispatches her attacker with lethal self-defense skills she wasn't aware she possessed. She hires wisecracking private investigator Mitch Henessey (Samuel L. Jackson) to help her find the truth about her past.

Davis's then-husband Renny Harlin ("Cutthroat Island, Die Hard 2: Die Harder") directed the film.

So yeah…a sequel?

Hmmm...

This comes as a real surprise.

Yes, the film did OK business, but it was hardly Jackson’s best film, let alone something he really shone in – it was Geena Davis who owned that beast; and she’s not even going to be in it. With so many other plum options on his radar, why would Jackson want to reprise that character? Why not Shaft (ok, maybe not) or Zeus Carver? (Then again, considering he did the sequel to “XXX” a couple of years back, Sam’s obviously got a woody for sequels – even bad ones).

Nevertheless, the star of the upcoming Spirit movie (now that’s a cool move, Sam) tells MTV that he and Renny Harlin, director, are brainstorming over ideas.

"Actually, we're thinking, you know, the little girl [Samantha's daughter, Caitlin] is grown up now and possibly got some skills passed onto her by her mom," Jackson said. "Her mom gets killed and we want to find out who did it."

“Mitch is one of my favorite characters,” Jackson enthused. “I mean, every time I pass ‘The Long Kiss Goodnight’ [on TV], I stop and watch it. If it’s on, I stop, I watch it.”

So why in the world, then, does she contact Mitch? “Well, she comes to find me because I’m the only connection to her mom,” Jackson said. “And I might know the people that have done that.”

Jackson says he and Harlin are now on the hunt for a writer who thinks their pen deserves a workout.

(Reference - moviehole.net)