View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 02:21 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Ok. I was just curious about the source of the other reviews. I've searched here before.

I think it's difficult to do day scenes well in horror movies. A movie like the original Nightmare on Elm Street is good with the day scenes because the night / dream world is still present and you know the characters fear the coming of the night and dreams. It's like that town that dreaded sundown line in Scream. And of course the actual movie. Also of course the saying the freaks come out at night. I think there is a line in X-Files about how humans have always feared the night. Or how you don't realize how dark the night is without lights.

What are the line crossers?
Not too many films stay in the dark or nighttime all film... probably Decent stays dark, but like Alien on a ship, it's just a set. Nightmare on Elm naturally is cool because, like you say, we get to feel safe during the day, it's a good breather, but the night still looms.

In one fake movie preview after Planet Terror they show a dinning room with some kids around the table, and the last scene shows the deranged killer working the backend of a turkey with the kids in the shot. The parents of the actors can choose to be ok with that, but I don't think it should be in films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Halloween (1978).I think I touched on this before, but when I was quite young I never paid Halloween or it's sequels too much mind.
They were slower, and less visually ?unusual? than the kind of horror I'd been exposed to as a child, things like Hellraiser, NOES, The Thing, and the evil dead (thank you, parents.)
For these reasons I was never really into it, as a kid, for me different things drove my lower attention span.
Things like atmosphere, well done pacing, set up, dialogue, musical score all sadly took a back seat - and these factors are exactly what this movie had going for it. When I watched it a little later down the line in my mid teens, I kind of started to "get it" to a point. Maybe appreciate it a little more.
I can see how you got used to that quicker pace with the 80s. I grew up with the decidedly slow pace of 70's horror and drama. But there's a lot to work with in there, of course, and Halloween uses it.

Quote:
I consider 1&2 pretty much a double feature, and they do stand quite seperate in style from what was to follow.
I'll always love how H2 takes off the second after H1. The new director captured some of the aspects of what Carpenter was doing, but regarding the slower 70's drama aspects it certainly does not.

Quote:
All in all, it's a simple story - and "not much happens".
But a lot going for it that set it apart from the films of around that time...some interesting camera work and spanning like "follow" kind of shots. Not to mention the villain perspective stuff (did they do that in the others? I feel like they didn't). One nice early example of "jump scare", and not many more...you know...sparingly, like it should be. The excellent musical score and the pacing of it in so many scenes really just, it still manages to build atmosphere for all the time that's past and how far movies have come...this still puts you in an almost vulnerable state.
With the brilliant subtlety of Jamie Lee Curtis, we get to respect, like, and most importantly know Laurie and her setting. And then Carp sets all the aspects of the atmosphere: pace, shots, lighting, music and sound -- some of the most notable were well placed silences, like with Michael looking at his new wall hanging, and the heavy breathing coming from all sides with close proximity when Laurie is sitting in the living room, it's disorientating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningriser View Post
Split

I have tried watching this twice now and I just can't get into it. I don't know what it is but this movie just completely rubs me the wrong way and how this thing is the most popular horror movie on popcorn time right now I have no clue.
Split is no doubt popular now because of the sequel coming out (Glass), there's no other reason. Split is a weird film, it feels disjointed in the way it combines different film pastiches, and jumps the mood and atmosphere of the preceding scene. Maybe since it's 'Split' that's intentional.

Last edited by Sculpt; 01-23-2019 at 02:24 PM.