View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 05:32 PM
ventricle

Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
6/10

The dangerous evil of Freddy Kruger begins to make his way out into the lives of those who worked on the horror films that had once contained him.

Maybe one had to see this film in 1994 to appreciate it... I found the film extremely predictable, and very old hat, especially the ending... of which I will say, without any spoilers: the protagonists go where you know they will go, it will look exactly like you'll expect, Freddy will do what you expect and have seen many times before, and it will end exactly the way you think it will end.

I didn't think it was scary, as it's hard to take Freddy seriously at this point -- or at that point in 1994. And the film was never funny, which I found a bit ironic; but it was sometimes suspenseful. I liked the concept of the film -- and we hear this concept espoused word for word by the writer/director in a "cameo" appearance, 'An evil force, in the form of Freddy, was contained and controlled in the films about this monster, but now that no one is afraid, Freddy is breaking out.' Unfortunately, this concept did not go in any unexpected directions.

Last edited by Sculpt; 04-30-2018 at 08:11 PM.