View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 PM
HDC Idol

Reposting here because I'd love to hear what y'all think. I know that J LOVED this, so bring it on, J! Tell me about it!

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)

Uhm. Ok. Wow.

I was really trying NOT to keep my hopes up for this one because I was worried that I'd be disappointed... But to be honest, this is truly one of those rare movies that remind me of what I absolutely love horror, gives me hope for modern horror movies, and just satisfies me as a fan. Simply stated, it's a horror movie lover's horror movie.

I love the nod to pretty much every movie trope ever (though my boyfriend kept pointing out the very obvious and prolific Raimi nods which drove me nuts but that's OK)...

I have a slight qualm over the ending, probably just because the scenes leading up to the end were so ridiculously AWESOME, GORY, SCARY, and esoteric, I didn't want it to end... And also I think this is one of those movies that's almost too clever for it's own good, meaning the story is so odd, unique, and dark that no ending would be satisfying.

HOWEVER...

[SPOILERS]

I was just pontificating over how incredibly neat it would be if they released an extended Blu-Ray edition that had 4 alternative versions, based on what they were about the "choose" in the basement (the conch, the Pandora's ball, the necklace, the movie reel, the musicbox) - Would there be any difference in the ending based on there choice? I think it would be a neat way to extend this concept of modern sacrifice having to be based on the victim's will - If their will is different, does the world end? o.O The geek in me wants to find out.

Oh. OH. And I cheered out loud when Sigourney Weaver stepped in the final scenes... GEEKGASM!!!!!!!

I ALSO totally and absolutely geeked out to the nod to Portal - I mean... As a horror-loving console player, I've pretty much just wet myself with excitement over that.

[/SPOILERS]

Ridiculously good. Also one of those RARE self-conscious movies that isn't annoying and pretentious. It was very fun, very well-directed, and acted, and thoroughly enjoyable.

HIGHLY recommended.

4.5/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!