Thread: Uzumaki
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 11:22 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I wasn't sure what to expect before watching Uzumaki this morning, I was thinking another Ringu or Ju-on clone, but this was far from those. A wild and very original movie, it reminded me of Hausu more than anything, it was a real knockout. It also reminded me of another bizarre Japanese horror film called Noroi, which is well worth seeking out if you are looking for something different. Uzumaki had a strong horror element but was delirious and dream like, in both presentation and content. We need more American movies with this sense of daring and experimentalism. Don't go watching this for something that makes a whole lot of sense, the plot has a more dream logic than conventional narrative. On the strength of this movie I have added "Long Dream" to my queue, from the same director.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursecaligari View Post
I absolutely loved the Uzumaki manga by Junji Ito. It is by far one of his greatest stories. I was aching to love the film, but sadly I was disappointed. Maybe his works don't translate well to film? I also found myself disappointed by nearly every Tomie movie. I highly recommend reading the manga before introducing yourself to the movie.
I watched this a couple nights ago and thought it was pretty interesting. I like surreal stuff, and enjoyed a lot of the visuals. However, I was pretty tired when I watched it and kept falling asleep, so I think that also means it was paced a bit too slow, and also wasn't all that scary. Definitely worth a watch. I haven't read the manga.