View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via ICQ to Smackytherabbit
Quote:
So I've been watching a TON of ghost stories... I know that you've all recommended some great films, but what is the sub-genre under Asian Horror that they fall under? Slasher? Torture? I'm looking for something that's a little more (maybe not more... different) than just the iconic Onryo.

The Ichi the Killer movies interest me, though those seem to fit under the sub-category of revenge... Am I wrong?

What other sub-genres do Asian directors do well aside from ghosts and giant monster movies? I am asking straight out because there is an incredibly cultural rift and I want to find out more. I figure we have some resident experts here.
Ichi is pretty much a revenge flick. But its a Miike movie and they are always so much more then you expect. None of his movies are normal.

The Ghost movies would probably just go under horror. I mean if you really really really wanted to find a sub for them i'd call them supernatural horror.

As far as the rest of the sub genera thing goes.. i really dont know. They seem to have the same as us but different ones are more popular and others are done better. The Slasher sub genera is almost non existent but you will find much better thrillers and torture (movies that dont rely on just torture to sell them, ala saw, hostel, ect).

Japan is home to the really screwy movies. Miike is a perfect example of this. Hellevator, Dead or Alive ect.
They do good horror but in my opinion they are not the best.

For me Korea is the best though.
Their horror is always very graphic with great twists and story. The execution puts most Hollywood movies to shame and if you like Thriller movies this is definitely the way to go.
Koreans do the best serial killer movies, hands down.
Memories of murder, voice of murder, H, Black House.