View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM
HDC Idol

So. I just watched Shutter (thank you Bloody Asia for the delightfully free movies).

And you're right; it definitely does fright extremely well. Builds tension. Builds atmosphere. And, oddly enough, I liked the very end of it as well. Nothing new, but the haunting definitely made me jump and cower a few times.

So I've been watching a TON of ghost stories... I know that you've all recommended some great films, but what is the sub-genre under Asian Horror that they fall under? Slasher? Torture? I'm looking for something that's a little more (maybe not more... different) than just the iconic Onryo.

The Ichi the Killer movies interest me, though those seem to fit under the sub-category of revenge... Am I wrong?

What other sub-genres do Asian directors do well aside from ghosts and giant monster movies? I am asking straight out because there is an incredibly cultural rift and I want to find out more. I figure we have some resident experts here.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I FINALLY saw The Eye (the original). And it was... Ok. I think that I was a little disappointed just because I had REALLY high expectations (it being a fairly iconic film). I thought that the concept was great, there were some truly creepy moments, but the end was a little wishy washy for me.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!