View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 11:50 AM

coen

Hi to all,

I registered on here with a normal question and concerns but ended up with unrelated responses. After re-reading my original post, I decided that giving too much detail might have been what caused it. I registered on a similar site but greatly edited the detail I posted here. However, because many users are registered on both sites it seems that the wrong conclusion still stood (having seen similar but more lengthy text on another board probably didn't help).

Therefore, I have just posted on there and are intentionally adding the exact same text to here:

Firstly, I am not coen (plus I assumed coen was a woman!?).

If I were and it was my book, this is how I would go about it:

1 post on a promo section, not a discussion section.
2 have a web presence.
3 charge less for the book. paper and electronic.
4 have an amazon page
5 make the book 40,000 words longer.
6 advertise using bookmarks or something

That said, I do believe that the scary moments book is a nice example of straight writing that you do not need to mentally edit every three seconds when reading it to an early teen (I agree about the paragraphs though. Some were way too long).

I posted something similar on another site (though more thorough) and used the sasha coen example there too because as here, it explains what type of book I am talking about. There is no point ranting about overused scenes unless you can give some sort of benchmark or example. Well, I chose coen as a good book but you are free to choose whomever you prefer.

As mentioned on another forum, one of the more recent books I read to my niece was described as young teen horror. It was not a horror in the traditional sense and started describing a girl being raped by chapter two. I was having a hard time mentally editing some of the text as it was. Once I reached that scene, I changed books. It might not have been so bad if the scene was even remotely related to the rest of the book (I checked!) It was just used to try add something dramatic to the book. As with the other site, I wont mention the book title because I don't think it is appropriate to do so.

May be it is just me and I have been unlucky with the last years worth of books (15% good, 35% readable and 50% not very good at all). That was the reason for the post after all, but everyone seems to have other interests in mind.

Thank you for your relevant input.

Clive.