View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Question At Last, A Great Horror Book!!

Hi,

I have been trying for a looong time now to find a horror book that I can read to a teen but also enjoy myself.

Everyone out there has probably noticed that horror authors seem to have hit a trend of over-using bad language and overdoing the gore simply to try and make their book seem shocking. The problem is, we want to read books that are shocking because of the way the themes and scenes are written and presented, not because of overdone content.

Well, I have found the nectar!

I've just read Scary Moments by Sasha Coen. For the first time in ages I managed to read a book that was good because of the story and its themes and not spoiled because of overdone scenes. It was funny, scary (not so much for me I'm thankful to say, lol) gripping and well written.There were thrilling parts, unnerving parts and supernatural parts. But, most importantly, there was no bad language parts! (I think the word hell might have been used but I can cope with that lol) and no unnecessarily violent scenes or themes. It was just a good all round read! You have no idea how refreshing it was! lol. I don't mind bad language been used, nor do I mind blood-filled scenes, what I do mind though is authors adding it unnecessarily or from unrelated scenes just because they have no other way of giving a shock value to their work. Surely this is where talent is supposed to play a roll?

If Coen can do it, then why are all of the other horror authors out there having so much trouble!

I read it to my niece on kindle which is not my preferred method but were unable to wait for the paperback delivery time (I was on babysitting duty lol). My niece has since brought her own copy of the paperback version. This is great because it means that she too enjoyed the book, but more than that, it means that she is reading a book that she likes and its not filled with swearwords and people cutting off their arms for no reason. Its hard to know whether she really likes what I read to her because she would just say it was good just to be polite I think lol, but her buying her own copy is a good enough sign for me.

The previous book I tried to read to her was about mildly malicious faeries, which was fine (lacking and not even slightly scary, but readable). That was until chapter two when it started describing a partial rape scene! That particular book was rated Horror, 12-14 years. The horror content was low enough to be read by someone much younger. Using dodgy and completely unrelated and unnecessary scenes is not how authors are supposed to capture our attention.

Like most, I love a great horror with all they have to offer (thrilling, gripping, scary, blood and bad language, supernatural and so on), but I disagree with authors using over the top gore or unnecessary swearing just to try and make things seem more dramatic. Surely that is what writing talent is about!?

Like I say, If Sasha Coen can do it for five quid odd, then the more expensive authors out there really do have no excuse.

What say you people!?

Clive.

Last edited by Clive; 01-22-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: poll update