View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Evil Dead

Not a fan of this sub-genre at all, though I watch everything simply to keep up. I would say Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires because Peter Cushing and Roy Ward Baker were on hand to give it some class. Junk is my favorite Asian zombie movie; thought Versus was a mess--the editing and camerwork were just all over the place, like college students who wanted to do a Tarantino/Rodriguez movie. Chinese Ghost Story was probably my favorite visually. Battle Royale and Audition were kinda cool, however the hell you would categorize them. Hated The Eye, Ringu (movie sould be about tomato sauce), and the over-hyped, over-rated American remake. My main problem with Asian horror is that for the horror to work, the comedy also has to work. Even in horror movies with little comedy. Barker, Romero, and many other people smarter than I have pointed this out. The Asian sense of humor just doesn't translate well with American audiences. John Woo might be the exception (just about everything in his masterpiece The Killers worked). The only Asian filmmaker I truly love is Akira Kurosawa, but I like Leone and Sturgis much better.

On the whole, I like my horror American or Euro. Both share the same Gothic and cultural sensibilities that I have.