View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I haven't seen the original Insomnia, but I thought the American version was good. This was directed by Christopher Nolan (Memento, Dark Knight, The Prestige, Inception). I thought Al Pacino and Hillary Swank did a find job. It was well received by critics and audiences (Rottentomatoes critics 92% audience 76%). I heard the original was stellar, but I think the remake was at least decent.
The remake is hollywood schlock in comparison. I liked Momento, but Insomnia took Nolan down a peg for me. It made me realize that yes, his movies have clever premises, but they are mostly just feinting at high brow. I hate to sound harsh, but that is just how badly the remake of Insomnia missed the point of the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe E Ville View Post
Shady
I forgot about the Vanishing and Insomnia. Pass the air freshener. You are so right. Can we throw in Nightwatch? I don't mean the fantastic Russian film Night Watch or it's sequel Day Watch.
I saw the one with Ewan MacGregor, and I didn't even know it was a remake before you mentioned that. I thought it had its moments but resolved in too pat of a manner. I liked Nick Nolte's performance though. I will have to see the original now.

In a similar vein, I took an opportunity to see the Hollywood remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I went in expecting to hate it, but to be honest I didn't think it was that bad, in fact I think there aspects where it improved on the original. However, Noomi Rapace is still the best Lisbeth Salander.