View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 01:17 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shroud View Post
Hellraiser had really good music by Christopher Young. That theme was awesome!
I'm listening to Hellraiser Theme right now. I didn't really take notice of the music in the film. Quite nice.

Interesting question about best musical score in a horror film. Some would say the best musical scoring is the one you don't notice, meaning it's seamless within the film.

A film score is not meant to be played without the film, because it should sound 'incomplete', missing it's own spine. Scores that sound good on their own should rather be just an odd discovery.

With that in mind, I would say the musical soundtrack for Alien (Jerry Goldsmith) is the best horror soundtrack I've ever heard. It's so finely integrated with the sound effects (and naturally, the film) that it's really one of the tour de forces of cinema.

Other horror film musical scores I thought were excellent (within the film ), all very viscerally, evocatively effective, were Halloween (John Carpenter), Psycho (Bernard Herrmann), Poltergeist (Jerry Goldsmith), King Kong (1976) (Jerry Goldsmith), Nightmare on Elm (Charles Bernstein), Gojira (Akira Ifukube) and Evil Dead II (Joseph LoDuca).

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-23-2017 at 02:45 PM.