View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 01:26 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Is anyone else getting tired of this ongoing debacle over genre movies and superhero movies not being "cinema"? I think Martin Scorsese is dead wrong.
Ok...I mean I can understand someone thinking this about superhero movies...because the vast majority of them are just popcorn flicks...doesn't make them "bad" but I can get why they're not taken very seriously.

There are shades though...You mentioned the Dark Knight, fair enough. I'm with that.
Batman 89, The Watchmen. The Boys series. 300. Sin City. Spider-Verse.
Some not just good, some fucking great.

But we also have "Ms Marvel", "The Phantom", Howard the Duck, STEEL, Spawn BVS and Superman 4 up there.
There is WAY more bad examples than good ones if you ask me...though I'm not about to dismiss the entire genre.

Scorsese was a fine director...but yknow...wouldn't have killed him to try something different for once in his life.

While I may question the taste of a person that ONLY watches popular films/popcorn flicks...or, perhaps not taste but unwillingness to branch out for their own experience...what it really comes down to is this;

A movie is a movie is a movie - the quality is subjective, and tastes are malleable dependent upon your mood at the time.
If you're someone that says otherwise, or will only watch movies and/or listen to music that makes them feel somehow superior or "of better taste", then you're a self important, pretentious fuckstick.

Last edited by cheebacheeba; 12-08-2019 at 01:27 PM.