View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 03:14 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
These aren't Horror, although Temple Of Doom does toy with Horror-y aspects. I recall saying you saw TOD again years ago and you might've liked it more than Crusade. I definitely far prefer it. Crusade is fun but I felt too campy at times and too deriative of Raiders.
Too true, I didn't follow the thread title specification for horror films.

And you have a great memory... yes, I do like Temple of Doom better than Last Crusade, particularly because TOD is fully engrossing, suspension of disbelief is well maintained, and it's just flat-out fascinating. Whereas Last Crusade feels much too self-aware, like it knows it's being watched by an audience, often feels like a parody, and it's less engrossing and less believable as a result.

However, comparing the first viewings at the theater of both films, Doom was a let down to the long shadow of 'Raiders' (certainly a difficult act to follow, especially via a prequel that must ignore the character changes Indy earned through Raiders), but I really enjoyed Crusade. I think seeing Crusade in the more forced engrossing confines of a theater, and the big screen, quite simply helps Crusade mightily.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-09-2017 at 03:20 PM.