View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 03:17 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I never understood a lot of things about the Halloween films. The plotline pretty much gets made up with every new movie that comes out.
Yep, only Halloween (1978) and Halloween II (1982) are one story, both scripts written by Carpenter and Debra Hill, and they ended the story. I personally wouldn't even bother thinking about the rest of "the series" which are written by other people. But in the original story I think the "sister thing" is very interesting. I mean, this little independent film, Halloween (1978), sure grabbed the attention of the USA in 1979... seemed to strike a nerve. Most film critics give it 4/4 stars. It has some distinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
They never even explained WHY he murdered his sister when he was a little boy. Did watching her have sex with her boyfriend and being naked cause him to get his first boner and so he felt he had to kill his sister out of shame and guilt?
No, I don't think the film ever explains why he killed his sister in the first place. I don't know if Carpenter or Hill have ever explained it.

Sometimes someone makes an art piece, and then people try to figure it out afterward, often looking for subconscious reasoning.

Towards that end, since you asked, I'd go out on a limb and say the 60's-70's brought a "free-love sexual revolution", and there seems to be an instinctive protective nature in fathers and brothers to protect their daughters/sisters in this area... protect them from harm, unmarried pregnancy, their reputation, the family reputation, etc. Maybe "the Shape", as Carpenter artfully calls the murderous supernatural being inhabiting Michael, is a symbol of this male-family protective/punitive instinct against premarital sex of the daughter/sister. I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest this.