View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Rebel Without Applause

I thought the The Grudge (the remake) was awful. One of the least redeeming horror films I've ever seen. The Fog remake was also horrendous, considering I'm a pretty big fan of the original. In terms of non-remakes, Undead was a HUGE letdown. I had heard so many people singing the praises of it and then I had to force myself to sit through the whole thing just so I could faithfully tell everyone how terrible it was.

Yet none of those come close to Cannibal Holocaust. To me, that film is absolutely deplorable. I had heard many things about it before going into it but did not realize the full extent of what I was about to watch. I'm all for realistic special effects and gore - that's one of the many things that consistently draws me back to horror films. Tom Savini is one of the reasons why I became a horror film fanatic - the ingenuity it takes to make convincing gore on screen is something I feel is worth admiration, but the scenes involving animals in Cannibal Holocaust infuriated me. Hunting for food and survival is one thing - killing in the name of entertainment, in my eyes, puts you in the same category as the rapists and violent offenders that live behind bars as we speak.

Haha, oops. Sorry for the rant, I didn't expect it to turn into this. All I had to do was think about that film and it just came spewing out. I hadn't thought about it in a while.

I saw a few people mention Bug in this thread. I thought Bug was great. It helps that I went into it thinking of it more as a character drama than a horror film. Also - I thought Michael Shannon was phenomenal. But, to each his own.