View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
In terms of Gordon, I get the "comic book thing" to an extent, but I feel as though the Batman movies take themselves so seriously that I have a hard time saying, "Oh, it's a comic book thing, that's why." Know what I mean?

Another thing that irked me was this concept that Batman wanted to be an everyman. He offhand says "Anyone can be Batman." Which is a cool concept in theory, but NO, NOT ANYONE CAN BE BATMAN. A lot of what the movie has to do with is the divide between the rich and the poor and that, among other things, is why not everyone can be Batman. Part of what makes Batman Batman is his "wonderful toys," his insane technology from tools to suit. Not just anyone could afford to become the Batman. Sort of like Ironman, he kinda bought who he was (if you want to think about it in an incredibly jaded sort of way).

That's what I liked about Blake. I thought that he was a true everyman hero - No guns, no toys, just a good guy... But I guess if he inherits the Bat Fortune... (I think you see where I'm going with this)...
In many ways, these Batman movies are for people that never liked comic book movies. There are tons of comic ideas in them but presented in a real world that doesn't upset (I can't think of another word) them.

The whole rich/poor thing was one of the worst parts of Dark Knight Rises to me. It's like there is no middle ground. You are either wealthy or a convicted criminal.

But with Blake even though he's presented as an everyman type, he isn't. You could miss it but it goes back to that first scene with Blake and Bruce. When Blake is talking about anger (I believe) and how you don't let that sort of thing go. That's why I was saying before how Blake and Bruce are the same. Batman is driven and obsessive. Almost all comic heroes are. That is why he couldn't simply move on from the death of his parents or Rachel, who's character was poorly handled but that's another discussion. This is kind of glossed over in these movies. But that obsession is the essence of heroes. From Spider-Man, Batman, Iron Man, Superman, Wonder Woman, the list goes on.