Thread: Remakes
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by EXTR3MIST
Gah, you talk like you're living in the Matrix -

This plus that equals this equals entertainment?

Again, remakes that trigger familiarity in audiences may make money (unless they all listen to me, which some of them might not) but independent, original films with heart at their centre despite their rough exteriors are being eclipsed by the glossy remake juggernaut.

Unless you want to keep watching the latest fucking Wolfman and Dracula in 30 years time then this is wrong.

A lot of new horror movies - non-commercial, amature efforts - are wasted opportunities and indeed often crud, but they are the way forward in this genre and discovering something special like Buttgereit's Nekromantik, Muro's Street Trash and of course the seminal BWP is far preferable to occasionally witnessing a remake which "hey, actually, wasn't all that bad!".
you mentioned the best of the oddities ... you have to go through heaping mountains of crud to get to one or two of something watchable.

I'd rather watch a remake of Dawn obviously made by a fan with decent actors than some back yard piece of shit made by a bunch of friends with a video camera and no clue of what they are doing.

there have been some good remakes ..there have been some bad ones ..

there have been good origional films and there have been bad ones ...

just give me something made with some degree of skill in all of the important departments - and hopefully if it is remade the new version will have a little personal spin of its own.

i feel the same way about music covers .. doing the same song verbatim is pointless, but make it your own while retaining the flavour of the origional and i usually like it ...