View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 AM
Synthetic Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Real keen to check out Mafia II when I can afford to pick it up.
I enjoyed Mafia II, but there are some things you should be aware of before spending your money on it.

Firstly, although it looks like an open world "sandbox" game, like GTA IV etc, it really isn't. It is in fact very linear. Sure, you can drive/walk around the city, but there is virtually nothing to do. Rob some shops, steal a car, kill some bystanders and get into police chases. That is about it. Really, it is meant to be played through in a linear, mission based way.

Secondly, it is quite short. Maybe 10 hours or less on the hardest difficulty?

You spend a lot of that time driving around. You often have a long drive to a mission, sometimes a short drive between sites, and then another long drive home. There is more driving than shoot outs.

Jimmy's Vendetta DLC adds quite a bit more play time, but they sting you another $13 USD for that.

It also requires a pretty beefy system if you want to play it on maximum settings on the PC.

I did enjoy the game - I liked the storyline which was very much a compendium of Mafia movie cliches. But I think it is probably not what everyone expects when they play it.