Thread: The Food thread
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 01:15 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Are there best ways to cook lamb? I may have had it once
Depends on how you like it, though generally...

If it's a steak or fillet - high heat/grilling, sear on the outside, render the fat, leave the meat rare/pink.

If it's a roast, say a leg of lamb?
I'd roast on the bone - aiming to have the middle pink, exterior towars brown so you get the cook all the way through and a slice will have kind of a pink end and a more well done end with (ideally) a crispy skin.
I like stabbing down to the bone and shoving garlic slices and rosemary through it, make a rub with say salt, pepper, cumin, corriander seeds and oregano.
I love having a crispy surface and might finish off with a squeeze of lemon juice.
It's amazing hot, and fine cold for sandwiches.

Shanks and other smaller/tougher joints do amazingly well in the slow cooker, browned first, and immersed in say a curry or stock/wine/tomato based sauce, cooked 6-8 hours...in these cases I want it past pink, I want it "well done" and gliding off the bones. The gelatinous connective tissue breaks down and partially renders into the meat just does...something beautiful to the texture...

But yeah you can also dice it, kebab it, and bbq the hell out of it...a lot of people like it pink, and while I won't have it well done, medium is also just fine.

For all the "rare" purists there are, it's a versatile meat that can be served numerous ways and lengths of cooking.