View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 02:46 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I'm not really sure where the term "success" is coming into play here...sorry if I've missed that in the replies.

Financial success?
If horror makes less in total, I'd say that...
It's one of the things I don't think a lot of people like to admit they like, for fear of the stupid judgement that gets visited upon them for such an admission.
The whole "You like seeing people get killed or something?" bit - so they leave the horror stuff to home.
Add that it's almost impossible to actually ENJOY and absorb yourself in a horror film on the big screen because people act like fucknuggets there, seemingly more in horror films than any other.
I think these are part of the reason why we see more horror not even making the cinemas.

If it's "more people talking about it" type success?
Well...again the judgement thing comes into play...and overall numbers I'd say there's more missed horror films than anything else.
Like *good* thought provoking, non-explodey type sci-fi - The "majority" like the easier watch, the less confronting watch, the "think for me", turn your brain off type shit.

I think that people also have difficulty separating their own emotional process and self reflection from enjoying these movies...here's a BIG example that I think its prevalent even among horror fans;
Take "A Serbian Film", people stay right the fuck away from it. Horror fans included. They hear one thing or another about a TINY part of the content and dismiss it.
Why?
I think they also self judge a bit.
Obviously in the case of ASF, it's a little moreso...but I do believe that with standard horror, there's a small part of the average person that thinks "I shouldn't be enjoying this...does this make me a bad person?".
I think we lose horror fans this way, or, they end up being horror fans in secret.
Humans are weird like that.
Just my take So less people talking about it might not necessarily mean too much.

I know we're not at all like that. We embrace what we watch and who we are here at HDC and I don't know about you guys, but I'd just as soon dismiss anything further a person had to say the moment they tried to fit me in a box, for simply being a horror enthusiast, among other things.

So there it is.
The majority like dumb movies that don't confront or provoke much thought.
People act like fuckrags in horror films, droves of horror FANS wait.
People judge others.
People judge themselves.
Yep. I think the Horror genre, despite the usual formulaic copies tippified by the "Friday the 13th slasher" films, throughtout film history (the Horror genre) has been given a more experimental-hand to explore certain subjects, especially as you said, confrontational subjects. Audiences give some open-minded leyway. And generally speaking it helps they don't tend require big budgets.

Si-fi and fantasy also opens those experimental boundries, but tends to require big budgets.

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-24-2018 at 08:07 PM.