View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
This is a personal sore point for me.
I loved resident evil. Loved it.
I was a teen in the ps1 era, and I remember seeing the first RE previewed in a magazine (EGM if I'm not mistaken...not sure if that even still exists) and I so looked forward to playing it.
Didn't disappoint.

I played RE1, yeah...not sure if it was what I expected but damn it had me on edge.
RE2 came along and fucking blew me away.
RE3...hm, not so much, but still enjoyable - perhaps it was that we'd seen largely the best the platform would offer from RE2?

I say through survivor, a kind of horrible "on rails" shooter.

Then came Code Veronica, which for me was a step in the right direction, evolution/perspective wise for the series...it actually wowed me a little bit to see it looking so much fresher again (I played this one on dreamcast which I still think is an excellent looking system), and playing with some of the legacy characters again, with a slightly new and different storyline and group of antagonists.
I actually put this one right next to RE2 for my personal liking.

I played around on a gamecube for a while, saw the first RE remake and RE:0, and again, like with Code Veronica, I thought "Hey, this is a step in the right direction to evolve the series".
I never finished either of those due to only having access to a borrowed console, but I'd really love to check them out again sometime.

Then came RE4.
I know it's got fans. I know they'll hate me saying this...but RE4 functionally killed Resident Evil for me. That damn over the shoulder perspective. The character felt sluggish. I didn't like the storyline. I just found myself not caring. So I turned it off after about a half hour. Then I tried it again, years later, at the insistence of a few people that if I just gave it a chance, it was one of the best horror games EVER. Tried it again. Got a bit further...just...was not engaged.
RE 5&6 just look like more polished clones of that.

...so yeah, I'd hope the RE2 remake pays enough respect to the original to take a step back into the perspective we know and love. Not entirely the same. I want it looking good. I want the character animations smoother and faster. I'd like some new moves similar to the first remake.
If they RE4 it, I just won't play.

Oh. Right. Guess that about puts me out.
I was about 10 when I first played Resident Evil: The Director's Cut and this was a few years after it came out like I think in the year 2000. I wanted to play it because at the time I was really getting into zombie movies after renting the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead and I fell in love with everything about the game. I also really loved Resident Evil 2 and 3 and I also enjoyed the remake of the first game and Resident Evil 0 as well as the spinoff Resident Evil Outbreak.

I know you might disagree with me but personally I liked Resident Evil 3 the best. We got to see more of the devastation done to Raccoon City in that game and seeing the city wrecked up with crashed cars and dead bodies laying on the street was very scary to me as a kid. Nemesis was also a terrifying monster who kept me on my toes, and I liked how this game had so many different types of zombies compared to the first two games. You had skinny zombies, fat zombies, girl zombies, civilian zombies, cop zombies, biker zombies, suited zombies, and of course the lab coat zombies and nude test subject zombies which appear towards the end in almost every game (kind of like the nurses in the Silent Hill games). It even made sense where the zombies showed up like how a lot of the cop zombies appeared near and inside the police station, the zombies in suits coming out of the town hall, and the zombies in lab coats appearing in the hospital and the secret laboratory. There were even female zombies in fancy dresses hanging out in front of the Goddess of Time paintings inside the clocktower. A lot of detail was put into these zombies compared to the other Resident Evil games which I thought was cool as hell.

I used to like Resident Evil 4 and even Resident Evil 5 but I've grown to hate those games now because of how much they have changed my favorite game franchise. It's not fair to even call these "survival horror" games because they are clearly more action than anything.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 06-21-2018 at 07:02 PM.