Thread: R.I.P 2020
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 01:37 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Yeah it's funny how much he shit the bed with the Batman stuff considering the quality of his body of work.

Just not suited to it, I guess...he saw Batman as a comic book/cartoon, and went with what his impression of that would be.
Wasn't all bad...Robin was ok, Carreys Riddler was...well, Carrey-ish but at least an entertaining version of the character.
I think that "Batman Forever" kind of got a bit of an extra set of cement shoes from people forever relating it to the POS "Batman & Robin" that came after.

Funny...on/off topic...really, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin probably should have had each others title.

Though yeah, back on Schumacher - Guy gave us some great, memorable films.
R.I.P
Yeah, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin probably should have had each others titles.

Carrey is a natural Riddler, but the whole script was a mess. Sam Hamm wrote the first film, and co-writer of the second, but played no part in this one. A lot of Riddler's scenes seemed to be a Carrey performance, rather than the Riddler, but I could hardly tell where he was going half the time with that script and direction. You know, tell Carrey he's Riddler and has to do this and say that, and let him sneak his quirks in under your nose. Don't shoot a camera at him and tell him fill time.

I even liked Kilmer for Batman, but what a weird performance that was. It wasn't any Batman I know. It's like you were waiting for him to breakdown in tears, or come out the closet. The director is the guy who's supposed to call forth the character and performance from the actor. And the ending action sequences, especially the plane, just felt unrealistic and labored.

But the film seemed ill conceived from the start. Trying to create a world, and direct, like Tim Burton (and Elfman) did in the first two Batmans was not a proper job for Schumacher.

I can hardly remember Batman & Robin. Had a cool look to it, but I kind of remember it had little cohesion. Characters have to have strong and clear motivations, and in these two films it just seemed like random things happening.

Yes, I prefer to remember A Time to Kill.

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-23-2020 at 01:39 PM.