View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 PM
For Vendetta

Anamorph.

Ahhh Willem Dafoe. Ever since Platoon came into my life, I ve had nothing but awe for the man. His portrayal in Shadow of the Vampire swept me off my feet, and I am the very select few who adore Boondock Saints. This time again, he manages to be the lone bright spot in an otherwise gloomy flick, which suffers a lot due to mediocre supporting characters.

It has a great premise, and the atmosphere is very Saw / Hannibal Lecter-ish with some really stomach-churning gorific death sequences, and the cinematography is wonderful. If only the characters around Dafoe were a bit more fleshed out and gave it their best shot, and the script-writer paid some attention to developing them more, this could easily have been one of the best of this decade.

Nevertheless, I liked the most part of it, Return. One tip to future viewers, watch carefully or you might end up with a "WTF!" expression when the climax ends. It is a tad disappointing, yes, but it makes sense. (It is certainly no Seven anyway)

Rating - * * ½