View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 12:23 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
House of Dracula (1945)
6/10

"Count Dracula (John Carradine) and the Wolf Man (Lon Chaney Jr) seek cures for their afflictions; a hunchbacked woman, a mad scientist (Onslow Stevens) and Frankenstein's Monster have their own troubles."

It's an interesting story, with some interesting scenes, especially the trippy piano scene. Still, the story and characters are shallow, the dialogue and some acting is rather campy, it's not scary or exciting, little to no build of suspense.

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1943)
6/10

"Two hapless freight handlers find themselves encountering Dracula (Lugosi) , the Frankenstein Monster (Glenn Strange) and the Wolf Man (Lon Chaney Jr)."

I liked this better when I was a kid. If you find Costello's regular screen routine funny, than you'll like this. You'll know after the first scene with him. If not, you're in for a long show, cause this is Costello doing his thing over and over again. Other than that, there's not much there; because although the Universal Monster Characters are playing it straight, as they should, it's not convincing, especially Dracula is not at all the character he was in Dracula (1931) he's more of caricature. They get chased around, near misses, some secret passages and gags.

During the scene where Abbott & Costello bring Drac and Frank into the museum, I was really bored to tears. Just didn't find it was funny.
Sorry You felt that way about A/C meet Frank...absolutely one of my all time favorite films. It probably was Lou's routines, as he did a lot of the same shtick in their many films, but at least no Andrews Sisters were in this one. Like the Monsters in here; Dracula is really the one who sets the whole thing into motion and I find most of the big laughs involve the Frankenstein monster. Most annoying person here for me was McDougal...if only the fangs had gotten another couple of inches!

THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932). My wife loves this one, but I find it all but impossible to get through. The whole thing feels forced and I really don't give a hoot about ANY of the characters, although Ernest Thesiger gets the best use of screen time. Perhaps Universal was making sure that Karloff would be worth the investment, but really, ANYBODY could play Morgan. Good sets, though, especially that stairwell. Don't think I can take another viewing of ODH. *1/2