View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Part 19

Opening credits roll. Fade to a shot of the garage where Scouse Mac lives. Massacre Man and Chronogrl are still staring at Scouse Mac after the revelation that he was at the Church "That Tuesday".

Massacre Man: You were there?

Scouse Mac nods, still staring off into space.

Chronogrl: And you saw Dante's Inferno?

Scouse Mac: I saw all of them. I can remember their faces now as clear as day. Paul The Monk was just an ordinary priest. Short hair, dark skin. His face was wrinkled a bit with age but you could quite happily pass him in the street without taking a second look.

Chronogrl and Massacre Man look at each other, whilst Scouse Mac continues to stare into space. Mona Lisa is filling a large bag with weapons from around the room, preparing to leave.

Scouse Mac: And Miss Macabre, heh. I used to fancy her something rotten. I may have only been five but boy, could I stare at her all day. So fair and pure, at least that's what we all thought.

He smiles to himself slightly, then his face goes back to it's characteristic thoughtful look.

Scouse Mac: Me and my father were sitting there, just an ordinary visit to Church. My mother was running late because she had been out to see my grandmother. We sat there and he told me a joke...I can't remember what it was.

Although the story he is telling has a somber mood, his voice remains strong, deep and emotionless.

Scouse Mac: Then in he came. I'd never seen him before and I remember looking inquisitively, like you do at that age. Then he looked at me. He looked at me and for a second our eyes met, and I could have burst into tears there and then. The whites of his eyes...

For the first time since he's begun the story, he turns and looks at Chronogrl and Massacre Man, and gestures towards his eyes.

Scouse Mac: They were the deepest color of purple. I knew right then that there was something not right about that man. If only it'd been enough to make me cry. Then we might have left. He sat down in the row in front of us and I just could not stop looking at him. The back of his head, it was covered in dark blue veins.

He scratches his head thoughtfully. Mona Lisa has finished filling the bag, and is leaning on a table now, watching Scouse Mac. Massacre Man and Chronogrl's eyes are fixed on him.

Scouse Mac: I watched as Paul The Monk stabbed that poor woman. Somehow I knew straight away that the man sitting on the row in front of me would have something to do with it. He stood up and ran to the back of the room. The girl he killed, Stubborn Forgey. She was in my school.

He trails off, then picks it up again.

Scouse Mac: And even as my dad grabbed me and we ran to that door, I couldn't take my eyes off of Dante's Inferno. He had a strange aura about him that send a shiver down my spine.

Chronogrl's eyes are welling up slightly now with empathy, but Massacre Man simply frowns.

Chronogrl: But you both made it out alright, didn't you?

Scouse Mac: Physically, yes. But me and my father were both damaged that day. Dad more than me, strangely. He felt guilty for taking me to church that day...that morning I had begged not to go. Started having nightmares that he had watched me get killed. It all became too much for him to see my face anymore.

His voice is full of scorn now.

Scouse Mac: It was two days before Christmas that he left. Left my new bike behind though...I suppose that was good of him. Last I heard of him was thirteen years ago.

He nods to a piece of paper pinned to one of the wooden cupboards. It's a newspaper obituary.

Scouse Mac: He took his own life with a handful of pills. Maybe he never forgave himself. I, have never been able to set foot in a church since. That day, even at five years old, was the day my faith died.

He pats his hands on his legs and to break to silence.

Scouse Mac: But at least that opened my mind to new concepts, which after all you've seen, you must agree with. There are odd things afoot. And with all of the emotions buzzing around this year with the focus on that new play and such I can assure you it will be a strong year for the unexplainable!

He walks briskly over to Mona Lisa and picks up the bag.

Scouse Mac: It's probably best if you two just go home and-

Massacre Man: Hold on one fuckin' second! You still haven't told us what it was that bit her! Yeh, so it might have something to do with Dante's Inferno, but what?

Scouse Mac: Well...I would have thought it was rather obvious.

Massacre Man: You would have thought wrong!

Scouse Mac: Well it's obvious that Dante's Inferno wasn't falling into line with Paul The Monks plan. He had an agenda of his own, i.e. he was power hungry. Well, what do power hungry maniacs love to have?

Massacre Man looks blankly at him. Mona Lisa pipes up.

Mona Lisa: An army...he wanted an army by his side. But it's not as easy as just mind control. You see, Mr. Massacre Man, the human brain is a very powerful thing. It isn't so easy to manipulate it to do what you want. Soooo, this "infection" as it were kills the brains cells as quickly as possible making an empty shell. When that's complete it follows it's master's orders.

Scouse Mac: The fact that these things only came about after he died shows that he still had some power in whatever afterlife he was in. He made them come to be but as he wasn't around, they had no orders. And they still haven't. They wander around aimlessly. It appears that they only come on Halloween because of the, can you guess it? Emotion hanging around. Dante must have tapped into that and used it to his advantage to create them.

Massacre Man: So what you're saying is that Dante's Inferno's ghost made these things which are braindead to do his bidding, but as he is only a ghost they can't hear him?

Scouse Mac: Pretty much. They'll keep on coming as long as people remember what happened that Tuesday. But, they usually only pose a slight nuisance. They'd only ever do any real damage if Dante's Inferno magically came back to life.

Chronogrl speaks and they all turn to look at her.

Chronogrl: So...this emotional energy that's always around on Halloween, it weakens the barrier between the living and the dead?

Scouse Mac: Yes.

Chronogrl: So...isn't it possible that other creatures could...bleed through?

Mona Lisa: Like what?

Chonogrl: I don't know...werewolves or vampires?

Scouse Mac: Oh, they're always around.

Massacre Man and Chronogrl's eyes both widen with surprise.

Scouse Mac: Yes, there's a good dozen of each in this town alone. I've had a few run ins with them but they keep themselves to themselves mostly. We stay out of each other's way.

Chronogrl: Dozen of each...in this town?

Scouse Mac: I wouldn't worry about them. If you ever find yourself cornered by what looks like a vampire tell them you're a friend of mine. They should leave you alone.

Massacre Man: What about a werewolf?

Scouse Mac: A werewolf...run. They probably wont know what you've said until morning.

Chronogrl: Okay...okay. So not werewolves or vampires. Couldn't some...ghost or, or demon's bleed through?

Scouse Mac: Yes...yes I suppose they could. But I've never come across one.

A quick flash of V running at great speed through the woods in his spikes metal armor. Flash back to Scouse Mac's garage.

Scouse Mac: So, now you know, you can leave. No need for you to linger. Me and Mona Lisa are off. I'd lock your door if I were you.

Scouse Mac opens the garage door and motions for them to leave. Chronogrl goes to walk out but Massacre Man puts his arm out.

Massacre Man: We'll follow...

Mona Lisa: What?

Massacre Man: Wherever you're going...we'll follow. After what I've seen and heard, I'm not content with just going home and locking a door. You guys have go weapons. You can drive where you want to go, and we'll be right behind you.

He stands looking at Scouse Mac, ready for an argument. But Scouse Mac simply nods.

Scouse Mac: Alright then...stay close and be ready for a fight. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Massacre Man looks at Chronogrl who just shrugs. Mona Lisa and Scouse Mac walk over to Mona Lisa's car. Scouse Mac turns and looks at Massacre Man and Chronogrl who are still in the garage.

Scouse Mac: Come on then! Turn off the light and shut the door.

They stand where they are for a second longer, then Chronogrl flicks the light switch and runs out to her VW camper. Massacre Man steps outside, looks around again in shock at how easy that just was, then slams down the large garage door. Closing credits roll.

The Ferrets like it...