View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Little Boo

Help me identify movie? Watched when I was 8, home with chicken pox

Hi - I've been casually looking for years for the name of a film I saw on TV as a kid some 25 years ago while I was home with chicken pox. I remember very little about the plot, but here's what I do recall:

It was a black and white film and I seem to remember it being of poor image and sound quality. If I had to guess, I'd say it was from the early 1950's just based on that. I think it was set in Siberia and there was what looked like a couple/few feet of snow on the ground. A few people were confined to a building -- I think because the weather was so bad outside. I don't believe it was a house, more like a research facility, but I could be wrong about that.

Any time they opened the door the wind would howl loudly and blow so forcefully that they'd have trouble getting the door closed again. I think anyone who ventured outside was at risk of being devoured by something but a couple of people left and, predictably, were victims. I feel like it wasn't a monster outside, but something more earthly. Maybe a wolf. It might actually have been some kind of wolf-man crossover thing; my memory is pretty hazy on that. I think the main character was a tall-ish, thin-ish man with a beard, but that could be a completely false memory. I also think there was at least one man and one woman inside the building.

The snow and wind are my most concrete memory; I know those were there for sure.

It was probably 2am and I was uncomfortable and couldn't sleep. Mom stayed up with me and we watched this together. Why she let me watch it, I can't explain. I think it was just old and ridiculous enough that she knew it wouldn't scare me too much.

Thanks for any feedback. I look back on that night fondly now and I'd love to find this film and give her a copy.