View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Little Boo

Chapter 2 & 3

Michael Myers sat in his old bedroom in drowning silence. There were no thoughts racing in his head, and his heart held a steady beat. There was nothing but silence that danced around the halls and bedrooms of the old Myers’ place.
A large rat shuffled in the corner of the room. His menacing, black eyes spotted the creature, visually stalking it’s every move. It was so innocent and unsuspecting, parading along the wall with curiosity. The shape could only watch as the rat sat back on it’s hind legs for a moment, almost having a staring contest with the monster who occupied the bare mattress that sat upon a rusty, old bed frame.
A loud pounding on the door downstairs created a new direction of interest. The sound of children playing could be heard outside, with the bravest of the bunch daring to set foot on the property that sat with such an evil presence that the local police discontinued their watch over the place. The pounding came again, followed by a low level of taunting. Michael’s jaw clenched and his fists tightened as he slowly stood up from his position on the bed. As he made his way to the hallway, towering above the rotting staircase, a hand was visible slipping through the mail slot.
He took the stairs, one foot at a time at a patient, consistent pace. Loud creaking noises sang to the house from beneath his massive figure.
“ I dare you to go in,” a voice challenged from outside. A few other voices chimed in with encouragement. The young man’s hand slipped out of the mail slot, as Michael’s black boots caressed the first floor’s flea infested carpet. He remained patient. Little did the child know that only a few inches of wood separated him from the world’s most ruthless killer.
The doorknob turned slightly, then stopped. Michael cocked his head to one side, anticipating the entrance of a potential victim.
A chanting began from the sidewalk, filled with the obvious crowd of cowards, “Go in! Go in! Go in! Go in!”
The shape moved closer to the window, until he could see the group of children clearly. The boy on the front step glanced over, getting a glimpse at the evil, white mask. He squinted hard before a scream escaped his throat as he ran wildly away from the house towards the street. The group of friends scattered in a panic from his reaction.
Michael returned to his room on the dingy, old mattress that still held sturdy. The world was getting darker, as he remained alone on the second floor of the country’s most infamous haunted house. The rat from earlier had found a hiding spot, or moved on to another corner of the house with something more interesting to offer.
Across the room stood a dusty, old fashioned mirror with a fancy silver trim. Through the cobwebs and mold, the emotionless reflection of the white Halloween mask stared at itself; black eyes burning evil into another pair of those same black eyes. They say there is nothing to fear but fear itself. Fear lived in the town of Haddonfield. It was an emotion that the residents were quite familiar with and, perhaps, based on their own unique experiences, reacted to differently. Tomorrow would be his day, and the people of the small Illinois town would come to find that the greatest fear of all is pure evil.

Alex hung up the phone with Zeke as she was pulling into his driveway. A light on top of the garage gave enough lighting to show off a yellow Ford Mustang with the hood popped. Zeke emerged from somewhere in the darkness carrying a single can of Coke.
“Hey,” Alex said, greeting him, “What’s up with the car?”
He leaned over and poured the Coke out somewhere under the hood.
“What are you doing?” she asked, confused.
“Fixing my car, but you won’t understand if I try to explain so…”
Alex agreed, “You’re probably right.”
“So what’s up?”
“ I just came to see what you’re wearing to the party tomorrow night.”
Zeke turned around and closed the hood, looking down at the attire he was currently sporting, “Something similar to this.”
She glanced at his beat up jeans and navy blue long sleeve t-shirt, “No costume?”
“I don’t do all that baby business,” he told her. Alex remained silent and Zeke sighed, “I’ll throw something together. Maybe I’ll be Michael Myers.”
“Please don’t.”
“Scared?” he laughed, “Michael Myers it is.”
“Whatever.”
He laughed again, and tried to hug her knowing he was successful in pushing her buttons, “Come here.”
“No.”
“Fine. Fine. Just don’t ask me to pick up the beer for tomorrow.”
Alex shot him a look, “Whatever,” she repeated.
“Is that all you can say?” He mocked her in a snooty voice, “Whatever.”
The two continued to argue, not noticing the figure across the street that stood waiting; listening.
“Michael Myers is a pussy,” Zeke said aloud.
Alex shook her head, annoyed at her boyfriend’s tough guy routine.

His mask seemed to glow in the pale luminosity that showered over his being in the street light. Like the rat from earlier, he watched the two specimens from a distance who were so concerned with their petty argument that they failed to notice the horror that lurked so dangerously close. The all black jumpsuit was enough camouflage to keep him safely tucked away from the eyes and ears of the innocent families who would soon be reminded that Halloween was his night, and Haddonfield was his town.