View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Evil Dead

Dead Hooker in a Trunk (2009)

What a great film :-D

This is the debut of Canadian sisters Jen and Sylvia Soska (aka Twisted Twins Productions) who wrote, directed, funded and starred in Hooker and then went on to make the stylish American Mary and watching this, it's easy to see why someone felt inclined to put up the readies for a more ambitious project.

So much going on in this film, from the brutal assault at the beginning (in a seedy club that's immediately reminiscent of the Mary locations) through the mayhem and madness that follows the gang's discovery of a body in the trunk of their car, to the wonderfully feel-good ending.

So much to like here too ... the sisters and their mates/co-actors, the great music throughout (a lot of it local Vancouver bands apparently), excellently OTT fight scenes, some marvelously twisted humour and some bouts of brutally unpleasant violence accompanied by the most incongruous of music. Some influences are quite plain to see but I didn't for a moment find any of it derivative.

I gather the twins are seen by some as feminist film-makers ... true the men in Hooker are all either vicious misogynists or weak and needy types but I think 'feminist' is a bit of an over-simplification of what's going on here, it's just a knee-jerk response by some critics I think to the sisters not populating their movie with cinema sterotypes.

Sure the acting isn't the best but for such a great slice of pulp, with heart, this is instantly forgiveable and probably even adds to the charm.

Brilliant, I'll definitely be watching this one again.

Interview here if anyone's interested - Horrornews.net - Soska sisters interview