View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Originally a sci-fi novel written by Jack Finney in 1955, The Body Snatchers has been adapted for the silver screen four times :-

Body Snatchers (1993) (Dir - Abel Ferrara)

My first viewing experience comes from the early 90s, when I was probably 13-14 years old, and watched Abel Ferrara's version on VHS for the first time. The film shook me up...badly. The chilling premise of alien hosts taking over your body when you sleep was simply...umm, unnerving. Adding to the mood and atmosphere of the film was Ferrara's dark and gritty, almost pseudo-realistic nightmarish vision of the original premise. Till date, I consider Ferrara's version to be almost equal to the original in terms of atmosphere. Sadly, not many have seen this one yet (I urge strongly to all those who haven't, FIND IT!) and it wasn't a big commercial success either. Hence it went into the unsung, underappreciated section of films which people forget about. Two things which still stand out for me today - Meg Tilly's bone-chilling proclamation ("Where you gonna go, where you gonna run, where you gonna hide? Nowhere... 'cause there's no one like you left!" :eek:) and the uber-gorgeous Gabrielle Anwar, who made my teenage heart race!
Ok, ok...don't worry man, surely going to download this version soon. Already added to my torrent download list.:)

I loved the 56's original film & the 78's remake. Both are undoubtedly fantastic; but I think 1956 original film was better in terms of metaphorical means & obviously the ending. But the thing is original is more like a beautiful classic sci fi thriller than a horror where 1978 Kaufman version unfolds the story somewhat like in a Cronenbergian way of body horror sub genre which is utterly creepy, dark & interesting also.

The 2007 version sucks!

From 1978, in every 15 years Jack Finney's this timeless classic gets a celluloid treatment in Hollywood. So in meantime, I wouldn't mind if there's some other film adaptation comes from different countries around the globe....like how about a Japanese or Bollywood adaptation of Body Snatchers?;)