View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 01:16 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
The Day the Earth Caught Fire

A British made end of the world tale from 1961 that was surprisingly good.
It was executed VIA the point of view of a major newspaper ... how they reported it, how it affected the people who worked there.

Very dialogue driven - exceptionally well written and acted.

I googled it after i watched it to find that the movie included some music by a fellow called Monty Norman who a year later would provide one of the most recognised pieces of music all over the world - the James Bond Theme - for Dr No.
I quite like that one myself.

THE CHASE (1966). In one of his biographies, this Marlon Brando film was described as "...Peyton Place, Southern Fried" and I would add a dash of HIGH NOON to it as well.
Very young Robert Redford escapes from prison and heads back to his hometown where it seems the main pastimes are drinking, humping and Redneck violence. While it's long, I do like this mainly for the cast. Besides Brando, there is also Angie Dickinson, Jane Fonda, Martha Hyer (FIRST MEN IN THE MOON), Robert Duvall, Janice Rule (What a TRAMP her character is), EG Marshall (THE DEFENDERS, CREEPSHOW), James Fox (THE SERVANT, PERFORMANCE),Miriam Hopkins (DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE 1931), Henry Hull (THE WEREWOLF OF LONDON), Bruce Cabot (KING KONG), Clifton James (the Sheriff in LIVE AND LET DIE and THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN), Diana Hyland (THE BOY IN THE PLASTIC BUBBLE), Lori Martin (CAPE FEAR) and a young Paul Williams (PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE and many hit songs). ***