View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Biggest and Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSadistro View Post
With over 25 spelling and grammar errors alone in a two paragraph reply, I'm having difficulty understanding your argument at all :rolleyes: Your first two sentences alone contradict each other. I digress.
If "old school, hardcore horror fans represent such a small amount of the population" to begin with (according to you), then why do you think Hollywood even bothers to reuse the exact same titles as the originals to begin with ? There are thousands of murderous masked madmen movies out there so why use the title 'Halloween' rather than 'Rob Zombie's Killer X Movie' ? People would be less likely to see that I bet. If Hollywood was so concerned about doing justice to a remake, there were plenty of subpar slasher movies from the 1980s alone that could've been better with a little polishing. So why does Hollywood only keep grabbing the titles of movies that "such a small amount of the population" would identify ?
The correct answer: money.
I'll let you in on a little secret: Hollywood doesn't care if you enjoy a movie or not. They just want your paying ass in a seat. They might even get you again later with a DVD afterwards, especially if they slap something on the cover like "director's cut" or "unrated version". That's a great marketing ploy. It's almost like saying "new and improved movie with 10% more entertainment value" on it. The recent 'King Kong' movie costed a lot of money to make (CGI laden films usually do) and didn't make back the billions of dollars as expected. To date it's had 4 or 5 DVD versions already released of it. Why would Hollywood release what is in essence an incomplete version of the movie in the theaters only to release it on DVD later with even more footage if it made the movie better to begin with ?
The correct answer is: money.
By now you are probably screaming at your monitor "Mister Sadistro ! My God ! You're right ! I can't believe I haven't been able to see any of this before your enlightenment ! What can I do as a fan to help prevent this nefarious act of larceny commited by The Great Beast Hollywood ?"
Well, I'm glad you asked (and please, don't interrupt me when I'm on a roll).
Hollywood is much like an assembly line. Get a famous name for an actor, even if they can't act or wouldn't be correct for a part (that doesn't matter- this is about making money, not entertainment) like, say, Paris Hilton, add anybody as a director no matter how incompetent (let's say Uwe Boll), spend as much needed on advertising and CGI (this part hurts, but people are often distracted by shiny things- see Paris Hilton- and makes sure those paying asses are in seats and buy DVDs). Most importantly, use a title that people already know, even if they haven't seen or heard it in awhile (like 'House Of Wax'). Movie completed !
"But, Mister Sadistro ! You forgot them adding a story to these assembly line movies !" you are saying. I did NOT forget adding a story and please don't interrupt. We already spent money on advertising, Paris Hilton's name and CGI. This is about making money, not spending money. Do you know how much it costs for an original story ? Approximately 10-13% of the overall budget (I'm pretty sure Roderick Usher on here will back me up on this). Those CGI fx add up and a known name to boot ? Geez. 10-13% of all that ends up to be an awful lot (well, maybe not by Hollywood standards, but why spend more when they already have the key ingredients to assure them paying asses are in seats ?). Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to remake something they already own the rights to than to <gasp !> pay for something original ? Hell, people already know the title and that's a built in audience. This is like the loaves and fishes ! Back to the assembly line ! We can churn out a few of these each month easily !
Maybe these "filmmakers" don't go out of their way to "make a bad movie", but do you seriously get the impression that they're even attempting to make a good one ? It's a mass produced, mass marketed product and as long as paying asses are still in the seats, subpar horror movies will continue to be remade and rehashed. Don't see them, don't support them, don't enable them. If the money doesn't come, they will have to rethink their formula.
Class dismissed :D

Well, if your head wasnt so far up your ass you would be able to see what Im saying.
Theres absoulty nothing sacred about any movie, at all, whatsoever. The fact that YOU like something dosnt mean shit to anybody but you. Another thing, dont think your impressing me. Ill be honest, right now your coming off like a spoiled child. You seem to belive your opinion of something is the only one that matters. I mean, remakes for movies for the most part must be doing alright. There wouldnt be as many of them. And of course its about money.

Old school, hardcore horror fans do represnt a small amount of the population.
The people who feel these films are "scared" are a minority. Otherwise, there would be public outcry to stop remaking movies. Dosnt seem that way. Tell you what, your wasting your time on me. Go to the people making these movies, I havnt made any of them. Tell them, you post alot on the internet, tell them how smart you are, tell them class is in session. All this youve told me, tell them. If you convince them, Im with you.

Alot of the people flocking to see remakes dont always even know thier remakes. Alot of people who went to see Black Christmas or The Hills Have Eyes probley didnt even know there was an orginal. Is there money any less spendable? Just because they havnt seen the orginal, dose what they think matter anymore than what you think? No.
The orginal story was interesting enough to try to make some more money off of it. Why not? Thier "sacred"????? Bullshit. Again, if you dont like it, dont watch. I dont like country music, I also dont spend any time complaing about it.
For something you claim to not like you seem to be putting alot of effort into changing my mind about it.

The rest of this isnt worth replying to. Its mostly a self-rightous attempt to enlarge your e-penis. Go for you. Bust your ass to impress somebody youll claim not to care about.

I dont know why the rest of you think Halloween is only one day a year