View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 12:37 PM
That fucking Guy...

SAW.
I've yet to see the (probably disappointing) JIGSAW movie, and it's been ages since having watched any of these.
We grabbed all 7 of the original series to watch before buying the new one on BluRay.
Also, this time we'll watch them close enough together to actually follow in terms of the carry over characters and events...something I've never been able to do before.

So, Saw...I still like it, but some of the acting is really glaringly atrocious, specifically from Cary Elwes...was this guy ever considered a "good" actor? I'm thinking not. He can play calm just fine, but the moment there's any emotional state it just becomes like someone doing a "bad act" of it. Yeesh.

It's one of those movies that loses a bit of value from initial viewing and already being aware of the twist/s involved, but it's still somewhat watchable...I feel like killing Tapp off was a bit premature in the series, but I guess they didn't know if there'd be such a slew of sequels or not at the time.

One thing I've never understood, is exactly why Adam was captured...and I still don't get it. Because he was a P-I? I mean a job is a job, right? Usually they're only catching out wrongdoers anyway...it just seems a petty reason to make him one of the "players".

I did like Zep, although he seemed to be enjoying it a little too much.
I think he was a bit of a precursor to a few of the other unstable assistant characters. Then when his tape is revealed...he's been poisoned and "has to" do this. He was a Janitor. He actually did/said something nice in the hospital so that Gordon could humanise his patients beyond a case number.
It strikes me that he *probably* could have just talked to him...I think he'd be up for it, given his intro scene. I looked up some info on this. "inferiority complex"...I'm sure a lot of janitors might feel this way. "Talks about the doctors and their affairs behind their backs" - Maybe this is a plotpoint in later films but nothing in this one...and, is that THAT bad? I mean the main one he seemed to have issue with was Gordon.

So that's some confusion for both the aforementioned characters...put together they kind of go against the whole Jigsaw killer "people who deserve it" type deal introduced when his character is further explored in later films, or at very least pretty lame reasons. A job, and a guy who'd have every right not to be greatly satisfied with life - These two decisions? They just make him come across as a prick.

All in all, this is something of an iconic modern horror. I'd still give it a 7/10 for its (at the time) originality.

Last edited by cheebacheeba; 01-06-2018 at 12:52 PM.