View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Sometimes dead is better

I watched the following films a couple of nights ago (two for the first time, the others I have seen before) By the way, I will only review the films I have not seen before:

Hatchet (first time): 8/10 I thought it was funny and I definitely liked all the references to the slashers of the 1980s. For example, the killer, Victor Crowley, was a mongoloid who died by being burnt to death-an obvious fusion of Jason and Freddy. Plus, the cameos by three slasher legends Robert Englund (as a fisherman), Kane Hodder (as the killer), and Tony Todd (as a Vodoo tour guide). I thought that the ending was, whether intentional or not, a little empty. With the exception of the ending, this is an all-around good movie I would say.

Mama (first time) 8/10: I thought this film was really good. It had a really good story and was very effective at building suspense. Additionally, it featured some really good performances, especially Jessica Chastain and the two little girls (the younger girl was actually, in my opinion, scarier than the ghost). The two major flaws of this movie were one the ghost of Mama because she herself was not really that scary looking. I think the movie would have been much better off if they had not shown her as much. Second, I think the climax could have been better, the film was relatively intense and scary, then at the end it abruptly changes and it feels as though we are watching Ghost (1990). It was not a bad climax, but it just seemed out of place for a movie like this. Overall though, a really good movie for the reasons I described above.

Clive Barker's Hellraiser (I have seen many times before): 10/10

The Blair Witch Project (I have seen this several times before): 10/10

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-25-2013 at 11:02 AM.