View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Biggest and Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSadistro View Post
I'm more for Hollywood coming up with something new that could become a classic rather than just remaking anything that has any value (esp to fans) in order to keep attempting to cash in on a name like 'Halloween', 'Suspiria', 'The Haunting' or any other countless films. What about if the remake completely tanks (which is often the case) ? How many of younger viewers are going back to see the original 'Black Christmas', 'When A Stranger Calls', 'The Hitcher', etc after being completely put off by some CGI laden, Mtv looking crap that has the same name ? Hell, if I had seen any of them first, I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to rent the original to see where the source material came from. If it sounds like I'm preaching, that's fine. As long as people keep buying tickets and Hollywood keeps making money churning out subpar movies with familiar titles, there will be no shortage of remade horror films. I think that's unfortunate as a fan of the genre and a filmmaker myself.
Apparently it is easier to remake something badly than to create something new- esp if it's already a proven winner. Think about it.
CK

While I can understand the orginalality aurgment, I still feel like alot of people think film makers are tampering with something "sacred". Theres nothing sacred about any movie. They made every movie with the hopes it would make them money. I refuse to belive anybodys ever made a movie, remake or otherwise and said "man, I sure hopes this movie sucks and nobody likes it".
Again, if you feel that strongly about it, dont watch it. But theres no point in complaing about it.

As far as younger viewers are concerned, your comparing the remakes to thier orginals. People who havnt saw the orginals cant compare. Besides that, those "CGI laden" movies must be doing alright, Hollywood keeps churning them out. Im not saying Im particularly wild about most remakes. Im saying, if you were to take a cencus, most old school horror fans probley wouldnt be in favor of remaking such classic movies. But old school, hardcore horror fans represent such a small amount of the population I dont think most film makers make a point to cater to them.

I dont know why the rest of you think Halloween is only one day a year