View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
And I will rant again....think it has been awhile, on this forum anyway.....;)

I don't mind the OCCASIONAL remake, I have liked a few. There have been remakes that did a good job in paying homage to the original, or expanded upon it, or seems to be made by someone who actually has an understanding and love of the horror genre, and not just out for a paycheck until they can make "serious" films. But that is rare. There is hardly any risk-taking in horror anymore, and that is a big part of horror for me. They know they can bank on a name; it is safe for them, no need to even make an attempt at originality. It just makes me wonder how many fresh scripts are being tossed aside in order to make yet another remake. I just want to see more movies that try to make it own their own merits instead of falling back on the name, controversy or popularity of another.

Sure, there are decent remakes. But for the most part they are uninspired, boring and completely unnecessary. Usually they pale so much in comparison to the original film you just have to wonder what they were thinking. A lot of the time, they seem to be directed, or written by someone that doesn't seem to have a clue about the original film, or the horror genre. And the result is, much of the time, a disappointing mess. Either the name is ripped off, and has nothing to do with the original film (House of Wax, which seems more like a remake of Tourist Trap really). Completely ignore and ruin what was great about the original (The Haunting remake). Or they copy it almost scene by scene, adding absolutely nothing interesting or unique to it, which makes it even more pointless, and really seems to scream...."hey, look at me, I can do it better" (Psycho remake). And yes, it just pisses me off to hear others say how much "better" the remakes are, and I have heard it over and over again. The ones that are so against remakes, just want to see some attempt at originality, and want to see respect paid to these great films.

Oh and BOOOOOO! to a Suspiria or A Tale of Two Sisters remake. Looking forward to Doomsday and Born though, they sound promising.

Last edited by jenna26; 06-12-2007 at 04:00 PM.